People's Republic of China
Coarse Grain S&D
- DDGS imports began 2009; growing rapidly – 98 tmt in 2009, 2,177 tmt in 2010.
- China corn imports projected to grow to 15 mmt in 5 years (industrial use 40 mmt, accounts for half of projected demand growth).
- China corn yield growth unlikely to keep pace with demand.
- Population: 1.337 billion
- GDP growth: 10.3% (2010)
- Number two importer of DDGS (2011, number one in 2010).
- Number two corn producer in the world.
- 90% of arable land in use.
- Rural-urban migration 100 m/year.
Market Growth Potential
- Population to reach 1.4 billion by 2030.
- Domestic grain production near capacity.
- Growing affluent population with a growing demand for meat protein.
- Largest swine producer and consumer.
- Will become consistent importer of feed grains and food.
- Policy and infrastructure issues pose potential threat to imports.
- Half of world pig population is in China.