- World’s fourth largest feed producer (after China, U.S., Brazil).
- World’s largest dairy herd.
- Big swings in monsoon weather creates production risk and stifle investment.
- Two main growing seasons - kharif and rabi - with kharif seeing 66% of the production.
- Large and sophisticated starch sector caters to India’s textile industry.
- Population: 1.237 billion
- Population growth: 1.19%
- Urban %: 32.7%
- Urban growth: 2.38%
- GDP: $7.965 trillion
- GDP growth: 7.3%
- GDP per capita: $6,200
- Predicted to be the most populous country by 2022.
- Women’s average age of first childbirth is under 20 years old.
- 47% o f the country’s population is under 24 years old.
- Demonetization efforts negatively impacting economy.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- Industrial corn/starch industry expected to grow by 5% to almost 2.8 MMT.
- Potable alcohol industry consumes around 1.25 MMT of corn and rising.
- A rising and major importer of U.S. industrial grade ethanol.
- World’s worst air quality is creating momentum for more fuel ethanol blending.
- National corn yield exceptionally low at 2.5 mt/ha.
- Ease of doing business is low due to India’s notorious bureaucracy, but it is improving.
- 2016 year over year gasoline consumption growth at 12%.
- Bt cotton is widely accepted and adopted.
- Corn import TRQ allocations (500 TMT) are slow and ineffective, 50% out of quota duty.
- No effective mechanism to approve transgenic varieties (GEAC).
- Minimum support price (MSP) policy for corn.
- Illegal to blend domestically produced grain alcohol into fuel.
Feed Grains In All Forms
Marketing Year Sep 2017/Dec 2018:View U.S. Export Data by Country
Equivalent U.S Exports 31,082,553 (MT) -15%
Value $1,764,987,977 -0%
Why Trade MattersLearn More